Wednesday, June 29, 2011

And school begins!

I've been working for the past year trying to get my state residency changed so that I can go back to school and not have to pay 10k a semester as an out of state student. I had originally thought I would only live in Arizona for two years at most and then finish my degree, but my eyes were soon opened to the fact that it would be more like 4 years. I wasn't sure if I would get residency for this fall. After all, I had a lot of difficulty finding a job after I quit school and was unemployed for two months. I wasn't sure if that would count against me. However, I finally got the letter in the mail and I'm happy enough to say (for tuition purposes) I'm an Arizona resident now.

This is a huge deal. I love school and it broke my heart that I had to leave- but to pay that much per semester for a state school would have been crazy. I feel like my life is now beginning again. The past year has felt rather uneventful and I feel like much of my time and energy was wasted on a job that wore me out and almost ruined my ability to draw and paint ever again. Did I accomplish anything? Not really. I have lived here for two years now. I lived in New York City for two years and when I compare what has happened here in that amount of time, in all honesty New York was much more of a life changer. Two years here have been a difficult learning experience. Two years in New York was like a dream. But then they always say that you just remember the good things about the past and the grass is always greener on the other side. Anyway I'm excited to start living again and this summer I will try to take classes at the local community college (I'm able to take 4 classes there before I max out on transferrable credit/requirements) and then in the fall I will continue with classes at ASU. I will also need to get a part time job.

This year I will also be turning the big 3-0. A major milestone...I've lived pretty much a third of my life! Hopefully... Unless I die earlier, lol.  The idea of turning thirty is rather scary. I guess I don't really want to talk about it much. Let me just say that this is the year that I need to evaluate my life and what I've been doing and where I plan to go. It's time to start thinking seriously about the future and how I will be supporting myself (making a career out of what I do). I can't continue to work lame jobs forever, I need to grow up. So I'm going to be paying more attention to my goals. And that means being much more productive as an artist, and focusing on my own talents and the things that *I* should be doing.

This little boy is my model of motivation this year:

No comments:

Post a Comment