Saturday, June 11, 2011

On to the Garden! - My regular tomatoes

Okay what I'm going to do for a few posts is have a different post for each plant in my garden so that I won't have to do one big whopping post for the whole entire thing. This post will focus on my regular tomatoes.

My regular tomatoes are doing great, however I've noticed that many of them have large cracks in them where it looks as though they have burst open. This might be because they got too much water- and they probably split when they started to be watered by timer rather than me doing it by hand. It's okay though. While they don't look very visually pleasing, it doesn't really affect the inside of the tomato unless ants or some other bug tries to eat it. Each tomato plant has lots of fruit on it, maybe about 15 tomatoes each. Two of my plants are starting to grow tall, and another two aren't growing tall at all because I accidently cut off the tops of them thinking they were suckers. (oops!) But that's okay, I probably don't need more tomatoes at this point.

When I came back from my trip, one of the tomatoes was falling over in its cage and was being supported by my old big sunflower. I went to Lowes and bought some more wooden stakes which have become lifesavers. Tomato cages can only help so much.

I've added stakes into the ground to support my plants. This is my before picture where I stuck the stakes in but haven't tied anything to them yet.

Here you can see where I started to tie up the tomatoes.

I've already had a few of the large tomatoes ripen, however one I threw away due to pesky insects, and the other is in the fridge and I confess I haven't tried to eat it yet, but maybe I will tonight. Here are some pictures of the tomatoes I have on the vines:





One of my (new) roommates mentioned she tried to grow tomatoes once but apparently the birds kept taking bites out of them. I haven't had any problems with the birds eating my tomatoes at all- which has kind of surprised me.

No comments:

Post a Comment