Saturday, June 25, 2011

Regular Cherry Tomatoes

It looks like my once flourishing cherry tomatoes have now lived their life. With the coming of the burgeoning heat and the limitations of their pots, I think they are rather overwhelmed and no longer have the strength to churn out pounds of fruit. They are all clearly dying. They still have been producing quite a bit, although the tomatoes aren't getting as ripe as they were before. The ones that I've been picking are still a little tart and yellow, no matter how long I wait for them to become more ripe.

I've learned a lot from my cherry tomatoes. Next time I grow them I should probably provide them with more support than just cages, and it wouldn't hurt to place them next to a wall. They grew much more than I expected them to, and because of this it became much more of a puzzle of how to get them to stay up and not fall over.

I had about 4 pounds in the refridgerator that I was planning to take to church, but I forgot to take them and after a few days I decided I would just throw them into the compost. I know it's a huge waste, but nobody wanted to eat them and I didn't think they would last another week. I also cut off a lot of my big tomatoes, some eggplants, small peppers, eggplants and zucchini in as well. My peppers have not been doing well and of course once again I tried spraying them with soapy water- but this killed half the leaves on them. I can never get the soapy water trick to work. They have been producing peppers, but either the sun is scorching them, or they have blossom end rot and I need to get them some fertilizer.

Anyway, sorry no pictures for this post... but yeah...I'm a little tired of tomatoes right now! hah.

No comments:

Post a Comment