Sunday, June 12, 2011

My TALL cherry tomatoes

I've now discovered the difference between indeterminate tomatoes and determinate ones. These are clearly indeterminate because they are growing up to the sky. When I came back from vacay, then I had them on a six foot pole which was sagging backwards due to the weight and length of the plants. I went to Lowes and bought an 8 or 9 foot? pole...whatever was the tallest they had and then came back and tried to prop it up with the help of another wooden stake.

Poor thing was toppling over when I got back.

Staked up and looking much better.
I really didn't want them to grow any taller. I mean, while it's amazing that they have even reached this height, I haven't planted them in a good area, nor do I have the ability to allow it to keep growing so tall. So while I do wish I could let them keep growing, I had no choice but to cut off the tops to stop them. If they grow any higher then it will be too difficult to take care of them. They are truly interesting-looking though, and sometimes I wonder if they came out of the jack and the giant beanstalk fairytale.
Here are some of the tomatoes on them:




Before I left, I cut off two bunches of their tomatoes and put them in my closet. According to my mom, you can take tomatoes that are green, wrap them up in newspaper (usually individually) and then put them in your closet where they will get ripe over a longer period of time. And it's true! It really worked.

Before unwrapping. I was so nervous opening them!
 When I unwrapped the tomatoes, I was afraid that they would be moldy- but they weren't! In fact, they were all perfectly ripe! The experiment was a success! However, on a major low note......they didn't taste so good. Unfortunately they had pretty much no flavor at all. If they tasted like anything, it was a cardboardy-dusty taste. NOT appetizing. So while I saved these tomatoes and was able to eat them myself, they didn't taste so great and maybe it wasn't worth the bother since they ended up tasting so poorly.

They look great! But taste? Not so much.

But anyway, overall I like the way these tall indeterminates look, because they are definitely interesting (a little out of the ordinary) and their height is impressive. Since I've been back I've been able to taste the ones that come off directly from the vine and they taste great! I've been eating them in salads every day. My plan to eat more vegetables by having my garden is definitely working.

No comments:

Post a Comment