Friday, July 8, 2011

Sorry for lack of posts again. I've moved into my big room and I'm adjusting to it and my new classes. Summer classes are crazy busy, and I'm taking a math class which could mean certain death. I hate math! But, I'm telling myself over and over right now that I love it in hopes that I'll convince myself. Besides, if I pass this class then I will never have to take math again! That should be incentive enough to plow through it.

So the only thing I'd like to post about right now is the dust storm that happened a few days ago. It was about 8:00 or so when all of a sudden it got really windy and the chairs in our backyard were blowing away. It sounded crazy, so I looked outside and the sky was dark and full of dust everywhere in the air! As soon as I opened the door then dust blew in everywhere (my roommate later made the same mistake). It got everything dirty and I had even forgotten to turn off the AC unit in my new room, so it blew dust and dirt into my room after I had just mopped the entire thing. It was pretty gross. Afterwards there was a layer of dirt on everything outside, and my car looked horrible! It turns out that this was the worst dust storm in a long time according to the natives here. My roommate said that the last time she experienced a storm like that was in like 1996 or something. Here is a youtube video of a person driving into the storm (time lapse):

Another from farther away:



I really wish I had been able to see it approaching. It looks pretty cool when you look at it from far away. I heard that afterwards everyones pool were pretty gross and it took them a few days to clean up the huge layer of dirt at the bottom. But anyway thats all the news I can write about now. I have to get back to studying! (Yes, even on a friday night. =(  )

P.S. The dust storms are called "haboobs." You learn something new everyday!

No comments:

Post a Comment