Monday, June 20, 2011

Dreaming about my new room! and...drama?

At the beginning of July I will be trading rooms in the house I live in. Currently I'm in the smallest bedroom, but will be moving on up to the largest which used to be the garage but has been converted. I do feel pretty bad for my roommate who is moving out of it and into my room though...but she was told that I would be moving in in July by my landlady- so it's not like I'm forcing her out against her will. She's known about it all along. However, my moving into the largest room isn't completely unnoticed by the others. I think one of my roommates was pretty jealous when she heard about it. She has what is considered to be the master bedroom, but every now and then she expresses dissatisfaction with it. Such as the bathroom is too small, she has an ant problem, the room gets too hot, etc. And so anyway, I could tell she wanted the largest room because she told her sister who is moving in that they could possibly share it (Even while she KNEW that I would be moving in there). Well, she then decided that she didn't want to share with her sister and talked about having the room to herself, etc. etc.... The story goes on from there but there's not much need in talking about it. The only way I'm giving up that room is if I decide to move to Utah or some other state.

I can fit in my present room, however the closet doesn't fit all of my clothes and I REALLY want to paint, and I'm afraid to paint in a room with carpet (the big room has a fake wood laminate) and I really want to unpack my drawing desk which I haven't been able to use for a few years. I still haven't unpacked it from when I shipped it from New York City. I could probably fit everything in my little room if I had a loft bed, but it would still be very cramped and not a comfortable work environment.

Anyway, so my landlady is updating the bathroom and closet because the closet is pretty much useless and the bathroom is a tad....strange. There is a door that leads out from the room to the outside, and it needs to be replaced as well.

I'm already thinking of ways to decorate. My current plan is to split the room into two parts. One section will have my bed, dresser and nightstand and then the other will have my computer desk, drawing table, and possibly even another desk for painting on. (Or an easel? Although I really don't like using them for some reason.) My reason for splitting the room is that :

1. It's big enough, so why not?
2. I like to keep my work environment separate from my 'home' environment.
3. The room echoes and dividing it would dampen that effect.

I just don't like to be doing homework, or drawing and then look over and see my bed. Sometimes I draw on my bed, which I don't do for pleasure but for the lack of sitting space. And that's not good because it just makes you tired. With two areas, I can clearly define the function for each space: One is work, the other sleep and relaxing.

So my new task is to find a good way of dividing the room. At first I thought maybe a curtain would do, but would that be too cheesy and teenager-ish? I saw a terrific tablecloth and bought it thinking I could use that- and I could, but it still lacks some sophistication. Plus, it's only one sided. So I went to ikea's website (oh ikea, you solve everything in my life!) and they have a GREAT idea. They have room dividing panel curtains!

Here are some examples:



These are just a few. This panels can be mounted on a sliding metal bracket and attached to the ceiling so that they can move. But I could probably hang them with a few thumbtacks just as well. They are super long, too- which is good because the ceilings are about 100 inches tall. AND they are cheap, priced as little as 3.99 each. Woohoo!

Here are some ideas for floorplans (Large pics so you can see) :



As you can tell, I'm super excited to move in. I'm nervous and I'm afraid once I get in there I won't know what to do with myself. But I've been waiting for this room for a year, so I just don't know what to do with myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment