Wednesday, June 15, 2011

The giant zucchini attacks!

My zucchini has been doing well- although since it was crowding out my eggplants, I had to cut off a bunch of leaves and even a small stalk (or vine, rather) that was not budding anything. Also, the leaves of the zucchini have become the home of hundreds if not thousands of whiteflies. I'm not sure how to kill them. When I move the leaves to spray then they just fly out and land somewhere else. I've also discovered hoards of aphids living on the bottom leaves that touch the ground. I tried my best to spray all the leaves with soapy water- but I think that all these insects are leading to other problems. I found some dark sooty spots both on my zucchini leaves and eggplant leaves and I'm not sure what it is, but I think it was caused by the aphids and whiteflies. I'm trying to correct everything, but it's hard. And frankly if everything were to die at this point, I think I'd be okay because I've got tons of produce from all my plants and they have definitely lived up to expectations. (Well beyond that, actually.)

While I was gone, behold by some miracle my zucchini got smart and started to pollinate itself...or some kind of mystery insect did the job, because I got a few of them while I was gone, and there was even a giant one that popped out of nowhere. Behold, pictures of the royal majesty:

Those were my first eggplant and pepper. My roommate cut them off, however she didn't bother to refridgerate either of them, so by the time I got home I had to recycle them into the compost.

I measured it and trust me....it was huge!

It ended up being 18 inches long and 13 inches around at it's widest point.

I cut it open thinking that the seeds would be really large and thus the zucchini would be difficult to eat, however....I was wrong! The seeds were small and I probably could have easily eaten it still.

However, I have tons and tons of zucchini in the freezer, so I had no choice but to put it into the compost. =(  Oh well. I wonder how big it would have gotten if it hadn't have been cut!
If I have lots more zucchini, I think I'll take it to church and put a free sign on it! I just don't know if I can take any more!

No comments:

Post a Comment