Sunday, February 20, 2011

Yet another...garden update!

Once again, being now somewhat addicted to growing things, I decided to take on Lettuce. Right now is a great time to plant it, as the danger of frost is over and the night time temperatures are in the high 40's and 50's. I'm a little nervouse to try lettuce because it seems harder to grow than the other plants I have, but I'm willing to try it. So I went to the dollar store and bought two long pots. I hope that these pots are okay to grow in, because I could tell they've been sprayed with some kind of coloring. Well, they are obviously made in china, so I hope that no chemicals leech off the paint and into the soil and then into my plant of course. But I guess I'll just take my chances.

I went to Lowes and bought 3 large bags of planting mix. While I was there I also bought 3 packets of Lettuce seeds (I didn't really realize how many seeds came in each packet!- There are a lot!). Then I also decided to buy some more tomato plants, since the ones at Lowes were farther along than mine. I started my two tomato plants 2 months too late apparently. I'll have to compare all of my plants and see how they do when it gets hotter. But anyway, I was really surprised at just how cheap plants are! I got 4 tomato plants for 2 dollars, and their other vegetables were super cheap too. I had to refrain from purchasing anything else.

Lettuce!
 My gardening book told me that I should put the lettuce seeds in the fridge for a few days to prepare them for growing, but I was way too excited to wait for that. I immediately planted and watered them! I put in like 4 seeds per planter, so hopefully that won't be too crowded.


DEAL!!!

Later I had an urge to go to the D.I. (a favorite thrift store of mine) and take a look around. Of course I happened upon a terrific deal- this purple glazed pot for only 12 dollars! These things usually cost about 50. It's large enough to plant a tomotao in I think, which is terrific because now that I have 6 tomatoes, I'll need to find more places to put them.

So now here below is a picture of all my plants. I feel like my squash is really yellow, and I don't know if it's the chemicals in the soil or what. Maybe I planted my squashes in the wrong kind of mix. But hopefully when I transplant it then it will become more healthier looking. One of my pots of sunflower seeds never really made it. And so I quickly planted 3 more seeds and started again. Now all three have popped up and things are looking good so far! I'm going to wait just a few days before transplanting my tomatoes that I bought at Lowes.

Planties.

Speaking of one of my earlier things I noticed about Arizona....This is my neighbors tree behind our house...I'm pretty sure those are the same fruits on it from like a year ago. Why don't people pick the fruit offf their trees? It's incredibly annoying. Maybe it's because I heard that scorpions live in Citrus trees here, so maybe picking them is a dangerous operation? Who knows.
Pick your fruit already!!!

Sunflowers- so easy to grow!



The rains started coming and drenched my flowers a little too much, but I really enjoyed having the rain and I hope it rains again soon!



This is a picture of my bike, it was made in the late 70's I think. I LOVE my bike! lovelovelove. I added back double baskets to it to fit my laptop and all the other tons of junk that I haul to school when I need to. Brown wasn't my desired color, but the bike was in such excellent condition that I really had to go for it. So far it has served me well, and looks so much better than the typical cookie cutter beach cruiser that every 18 year old has on campus.



I made cookies for a baptism...just sharpening my culinary skills for my future family! And trying to be an exemplary member of the church by being a domestic goddess. (lol) Ghirardelli chocolate chips were on sale too! So they ended up being cheaper than Tollhouse for once.


While I was making cookies, a very cute neighbor guy came to my door to tell me that someone's car lights were on. I thanked him and he kind of chuckled at me. Later on I realized just how terrible I looked while making these. OOPS! I forgot to wear makeup and a cute dress while I baked these! Soooo I guess I'm not quite the perfect homemaker that I thought I was. Hopefully I will bump into the cute guy again. I thought about leaving my left over cookies at his doorstep and then realized that might be a little too creepy. *sigh!* oh well.

YUM

And last but not least I just want to complain how what you see when you blog on here is not what you get. My image formatting is way out of line!! Frustrating.

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE your blog!!! And I love those little daisies that you have in your flower pots. Will those grow here? They are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankyou! Unfortunately the daisies didn't come with a name tag, so when I go back to Lowes I'll see what their name is if they still have them. But they grow really well and they are super cute!

    ReplyDelete