Sunday, February 6, 2011

Garden Update

If there is anything that I've been learning about growing a garden, it's that plants take a LONG time to grow! Maybe it's because I never really paid attention to my mom's garden when I lived with my family, because I remember one day she would be planting seeds and then it seemed like a few weeks later she was already harvesting the fruits of her labors!

My seeds have sprouted quickly, but it seems that they have hit a point where they have started to grow more slowly. I suppose I'm just too impatient. Below are my three sunflowers. So far one is already above the ground, and it still even has the seed still stuck to the top of it! The other will probably take a little bit longer to sprout. I'm very excited for the sunflowers. I got the seeds at a dollar store and they were only 12 cents!


Here are my squash, zucchini and tomato plants. I feel like the squash and zucchini are growing much slower now. The tomato plants are super small and really cute! But I realize now that I should have started all of my seeds back in December. The books I've read tell me that I should start everything in February, but I think that it means the plants should be a certain number of weeks old. SO....I think I might buy a tomato plant that's farther along- but only when I know that it won't be freezing again.


Here are my flowers! Doing great as usual. I've been protecting them from the freezing night time temperatures by covering them up. They are still alive, so I guess it must be working!



The funny thing about gardening is that it's really addictive. Now that I've grown a few seeds, I want to grow more and more! Of all different kinds of plants and flowers. I see the seeds at the stores and all I can think is how fun they are to grow and how cheap they are...and the result provides you with beauty and food. I do become really impatient- I want my tomatoes to have fruit now!! But, I'm sure that this will teach me some patience.

No comments:

Post a Comment