Saturday, January 29, 2011

Whatever happened to the Provo I once knew?

Last night I was talking to a friend who had recently lived in Utah and I brought up some of my experiences while living there and some of the places that I remembered. He lived in Provo for about two years and had moved back to AZ about a year ago. I had lived there waaaay back when....back in 1999/2000 to be exact. So yeah, more than ten years ago!

One of the places I have some of the fondest memories for is this old grocery store I used to shop at near my apartment complex called Reams. It was a unique grocery store in that it was housed in an old ice skating rink, and thus it had a unique dome shape. I remember Reams well because they had some of the cheapest (and worst) produce. But being the poor kid I was, it was a great place to find food on the cheap. I made friendships with other people I met while shopping there, and once a girl even offered to drive me home when I had bought too many groceries. (I didn't have a car when I lived there.) The funny thing was I lived within walking distance across the street in the "Ghettowood" aka Glenwood apartments. My friend didn't remember any round building but he knew of Reams. So today I looked up Provo on Google Maps and saw for myself. Indeed, the Reams building was demolished in 2007 and now there are some other buildings there. I found an article on the demolishment (is that even a word?! haha)

Here is a picture of the old building:

Provo changes quickly, and I'm sure there are a ton of new buildings. and if I were to go there today I'm sure It would look very different than what I remember. Well, here's to old memories!

No comments:

Post a Comment