Thursday, January 27, 2011

Plant Update

So below is a picture of my plants now that they've started popping up. The Yellow Squash and Zucchini seeds popped open almost immediately after five days, but for a while I thought perhaps my tomato seeds were dead because there were no signs of them. After a while I started digging at the tomato pot soil seeing if there was actually anything going on in there or if I should just try and plant some more. As I dug a little bit, I was pleasantly surprised to find two little green stems popping up out of the soil! I was relieved and immediately left them alone. Now they have emerged, although you can't see them in these photos.

Here is the yellow squash:


 My sister and her husband gave me this bird feeder for Christmas. I was surprised, because it was kind of the last thing I expected to get from them. I've never really shown a fondness for birds, but I thought it was nice and it would be another way to bring some life to the back yard. I know it looks empty, but I promise there are seeds on the bottom! I've had it up for about 2 weeks now, but no birds have either discovered it, or they have no interest in it. So...I don't know if I want to just leave it up or take it down until I find another place where it will find more use.


This picture below is a quick piecing together of what our backyard looks like. Looks a little barren, right? Those green things are weeds, and as you can see there is a lot of sandy, rocky dirt. Something must be done! The blue bin you see at the far end on the left is my roommates compost bin.

1 comment:

  1. Hi! Chris says you should sprinkle some of the birdseed on the ground under the feeder, because that attracts birds' attention. Also, he said maybe you could find a big branchy piece of wood and put it in your backyard, maybe even plant it like it was a tree, so birds would have somewhere to perch near the feeder. And regarding your plants, Chris said potting soil is fine for vegetables, you just have to be sure and keep them warm and moist at all times, and they will grow. And when the tomatoes start to grow, don't touch the leaves. That's all his advice. Buena suerte! (I think that's how you say good luck in Spanish.)

    ReplyDelete