Sunday, May 8, 2011

Seeing Pink!

I have realized that in the past 21 months that I have lived in my apartment, I've lived with 6 roommates who have now moved out. 21 months divided by 6 equals 3.5. So roughly every 3.5 months then I could possibly expect to have a roommate move out. This means that if I live here for another two years, then I can expect to have another 6-7 roommates move in and out. The number could be more or less.

Which brings me to yet another point, the issue of roommates taking my things accidentally during the move-out process. Many people out there are not aware of what items belong to them and so when kitchen items become jumbled together, they lose track of what is theirs and what is not. Thus when they move out, the "Mahalo Mentality" as I will put it, comes into play. The Mahalo Mentality is the idea that if you go over to somebodies house and you take off your shoes, when you decide to go home then instead of taking your own shoes, you trade up to someone elses shoes that may be cuter or nicer. Basically you trade up. So what happens is for example, a roommate will see a nice kitchen utensil that they think is theirs when in fact, theirs is the cheaper or uglier utensil. They do it subconsciously I think. After all, who would grab the soiled oven mitts or the partially melted spatula when they have the opportunity not to?

Most of my items are safe in my own designated areas, but pretty much everything in the kitchen is communal. WHICH I'm okay with people using my stuff. However, if you move out of this house with my stuff, I will come and hunt you down. I get REALLY upset when people take my things. I'm more aware than most of what items are mine and often when I try to remember, I mark things with my name. Permanent marker eventually fades away with use, but I've also thought about trying nail polish. Somebody told me that they marked their things with nail polish and it doesn't come off. So that is an option for consideration.

The other idea of mine would be more expensive, but I think very effective. That is, to buy nothing but PINK kitchen items! Sounds like it could work, right? And in this day and age, this is a perfectly feasible plan because of the whole Susan G. Komen/Breast cancer awareness color that they market so much stuff with. Let me tell you, I have seen just about everything in pink for that cause. Do you think that Sanrio has made a Hello Kitty version of everything? They pretty much have, and the same goes for Breast Cancer awareness- you can find SO much pink stuff in stores now. Just google breast cancer products and you'll find tons of strange stuff. Here are some examples:

Breast Cancer Awareness Sprinkles:

From Crumbs Bake shop

Cat food:
From Purina
KFC Chicken buckets:

A cement mixer:
.
.
HOLD UP you might say! BUT Hello Kitty has her own airplane!! Well guess what? I present to you:
.
.

Courtesy of Delta

Okay so I have no problems with all this stuff being branded with the cure. And in fact, it only helps me out because I can find anything I need for the kitchen in a pink color and that way, all of my roommates (provided they are not blind) will know that everything pink is mine. So I did a bit of online window shopping and here is what I've found:
Measuring spoons
cookware





Trash
Flour containers




Blender

 








Pots


Kitchen timer








Tongs
ice cream scoop
Popcorn popper!
mixer

Food processor!

Ice Cream Maker!
Knives

Utensils




















Oi, sorry about the layout, but you can blame the new blogger layout for being a pain to use. BTW, you can find all of this stuff on Amazon. There's a whole lot more, but I don't have the patience to deal with Bloggers limited capabilities.

But... You get the idea, right? And I'm sure people would be wary to use anything pink, since they would automatically know it's mine. I think that once all my stuff wears out, I'm really going to buy everything in pink if I know I'm going to room with people again because it will be such a moneysaver. Good idea?

1 comment:

  1. Elin, they make AC-plug in vibrating marking pens that will engrave on anything except ceramics. For other things, look at http://www.meritline.com/invisable-pen-uv-light---p-45788.aspx
    We all laughed at your wonderful insights.
    Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete