Saturday, April 30, 2011

First tomatoes of the season!

It has been a good week to garden! The other day I snapped this photo while I was outside. I love the rippling clouds! You don't find those on the East coast, that's for sure!


On with the garden...
The progression of my first ripening tomato within about a week:


All done! And time to pick!

Blessed is this feast!
 The first tomato was SO good! Since then my tomatoes have continued to ripen. Below are more pictures. I've been harvesting about 4 or 5 a day from all the plants. I've learned that if I want to get more than that I should probably grow twice as many plants next time...unless the tomatoes start to ripen more quickly and all at once.

Here is my largest sunflower, struggling to survive:


Do you see the gummy looking drops on the edges of the leaves? I'm not sure what it was doing, but it was probably stressed out from having it's leaves chewed. Poor thing!

It has finally opened, although a bit haggard looking in this picture. It smells very good, like when you take a handful of fall leaves and crunch them up in your hand, or when you walk into the floral department at Joanns or Michaels.


My other little ones have opened up here. They are very cute as well!


Look at the back of this one! It has little buds popping out the sides of it. Today these little flowers have bloomed, but I haven't taken a picture of them yet. Maybe I will tonight. My largest sunflower has a few of these as well.

Antoher comment I'd like to make is that I don't think that I will use the Sevin again on sunflowers in the future. It just hasn't really worked and I noticed 3 dead ladybugs near them...so I'm probably doing more harm than good with it. I think in the future I will stick to the nettings, even though they are quite cumbersome.

~---~

Here are more pictures of my ripening cherry tomatoes. It has still been difficult finding out exactly how much water they need, but at least I'm getting fruit off of them!




YAY!!!! ZUCCHINI TIME!
I finally got a little fed up with my zucchinis. Nothing was pollinating them and so I finally figured I would just do the job myself. Since I've started to, I've gotten fruit off of them. This is my first one and today I harvested another!



Here is a picture of tomatoes on my regular tomato plant. They appeared so quickly!

Somoe shots of what my garden looks like:


The garden wasn't spaced very well (my fault) and so now the zucchini is overtaking the eggplants. I've been trying to tame back the leaves so the eggplants can get some light, but it's difficult. The zucchini is now thriving and thus acting rather unruly.

No comments:

Post a Comment