Tuesday, February 14, 2012

The End of the Garden?

As the title says, I think that the idea of having a spring garden has fizzled. I was rearing some seedlings in the house for a month and now I've watched all of them die. My squashes died when I took them out of the jiffy greenhouse container they were in, some of my plants never even materialized, and then the other day I made a poor decision of thinking all of my tomato plants were old enough to go outside.

I put them out in a relatively sunny spot (Since tomatoes like sun, right?) on friday and at the end of the day I came back outside and they were all withered and bleached out. Every single one- even the purple tomatoes. So, I'm pretty sad about that because I was looking forward to growing them. But maybe it's a sign that school just doesn't allow time for proper care of plants.

Also, I had some garlic that had sprouted in the fridge and so I had planted that. Most of them I threw into the ground and they were doing fine, until my landladies husband came over and sprayed the backyard with weedkiller. He sprayed around some of them, but of course that stuff spreads like crazy and it's ridiculously toxic, so now all of the garlic has died or will die as well. It makes me upset, because I don't understand why my landlord can't have her grandkids come over and just pull the weeds out. That's what I've been doing a few times and I don't see any reason why people should just pump weedkiller into the ground when they can just do a little bit of work and pull them out naturally.

Watering won't help at this point!
So all I have left now are a few sunflowers and some lettuce, which is small and probably too bitter to eat. All of this is probably for the best not only because of school, but because I've injured my back somehow and it's not getting any better. So leaning over to take care of things would be too difficult and not the best idea.

Even though I'm still pretty sad and distressed over my portfolio review (as well as a handful of other things going wrong), there are some good things happening as well. I did my taxes and with the left over money I've bought some books and an SD card for my mp3 player so I can put most all of my music on it. I'm hoping that things will start to look a little brighter and not so "blah" in the next few weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment